Wednesday, September 2, 2009

New Viewing Pleasures.

As of late, I have been tired (and then wide awake), blue (and then ecstatic); basically I've been a hot and cold mess for the past 2 weeks.
Attractive.
But I'm feeling better now, I guess, and now have only the annoying-ness of allergies to tend to.
As of late I am thrilled to report that I have seen two of the films I have been dying tsee all summer long (which you can see in "poster" form)!!! I have to keep the fact that I broke down and watch Antichrist online from my best friend, Evan, because if he finds out our friendship is "over". You see, we kind of made a promise to each other that we wouldn't view without the other. Lars von Trier is sort of "our" director; we saw his last meuvie, Boss of it All, on our first date (which was basically a blind date that started off SO horrible that we hated each other and ended with us dating for 6 months, and then a couple years later, becoming joined at the hip so to speak.) and so it is only natural that since both of us are such big fans (me more than him though), that we see the latest masterpiece together; either in the theaters (if we are so lucky to have it released in Baltimore) or on OnDemand when the IFC premieres it in October. Obviously, I am not going to spill the beans and we will still see it together, but I have a feeling that he'll get it out of me if he actually pushes it... I can't keep a secret to save my life.
Yesterday I FINALLY watched Pontypool, a film that basically everyone and their mother (in the Horror meuvie world) has seen. I had read about this in Entertainment Weekly months ago and was hoping that it would eventually make it here, to glorious Baltimore. Well, I waited and waited; but alas no Pontypool playing in the city (or the county).
Finally I found it online and got the chance to see what all of the hullabaloo was about, and I agreed! It had a really interesting premise and I rather enjoyed the fact that it took place in a single location; definitely gave me the willies.
When I was little, and wanting to watch all of the cool slasher meuvies that the big kids were allowed to see, my mom use to always tell me that usually what happens off-screen is more terrifying than what happens in front of the camera; so I was relegated to watching black & white horror meuvies which I now realize were "classics". What I'm getting at is that with Pontypool most of the scary scenes (for me) came from the phone calls the radio station received concerning what the heck was going on in their town.
Wonderful!
As of right now, I am pretty curious as to what the Pontypool novels are like but with the already large reading list I have created for myself (right now I am undertaking Sleazoid Express) I am going to have to wait a few months to find out.
With this week turning out to be the week where I catch up on meuvies I have been dying to see, I suppose it is only right that I continue on with Deadgirl (I just looooove the poster art!). I am about half way through it already and so far, so good; nothing spectacular. In fact, in reminds me very much of my favorite film from this past year's Maryland Film Festival, Make-Out with Violence, without the rape though. What does impress me about the meuvie is that it was written by Trent Haaga! When I was in high school I had a strange crush on him after watching him on Troma's Edge T.V. and now seeing that he wrote something of this "caliber", well, it makes me happy. I know he still does tons and tons for Troma so it was nice to see him branch out a touch. :)
My problem is that after I finish Deadgirl I don't know what to follow it up with?! What other good gems are out there----- ah wait! Who knew a little searching around on the internet would help me find my next meuvie undertaking; I Sell The Dead it is!
I can't wait to one day have my computer fixed or a new one, because I miss downloading meuvies... streaming whomps. Especially on this computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment